Eskom says it does not expect to implement load-shedding for the duration of the Covid-19-enforced national lockdown implemented on the orders of President Cyril Ramaphosa.
The power utility said in a press release issued on social media on Monday: “Eskom does not expect to implement load-shedding for the duration of the Covid-19 national lockdown as demand for electricity has dropped by more than 7500MW since the start of the lockdown.”
It said to protect the “integrity of the system”, some generation units had been taken off the grid, and these were available to go back online should the need arise. Eskom is taking advantage of the shut down of a number of industries and reduced demand to carry out urgently needed repairs and maintenance to infrastructure.
Cable theft is one of the main reasons for constant power outages.
— Eskom Hld SOC Ltd (@Eskom_SA) March 31, 2020
It paid tribute to dedicated workers and contractors who continued to work during the coronavirus crisis to keep the lights on.
Sikonathi Mantshantsha, spokesperson for Eskom tweeted: “From tomorrow, we will not be issuing daily power alerts until the country resumes work again after the national lockdown. We thank the people of South Africa for their support in these difficult times. Stay home and stay safe.”
South Africans, as usual, had plenty to say, with 48 comments and more than 100 retweets and 200 likes of Mantshantsha’s tweet.
But Sikonathi…..you could keep us updated on progress with regard to servicing of the old equipment and how things are going with Medupi etc.
Don't leave us in the dark.
Any information is better than no information.
— chris newman (@Newmanzz) March 30, 2020