Herbs 4 Health – Lemon Balm Melissa officinalis
Part of the mint family Lemon Balm Melissa officinalis – Melissa essential oil is one of my favourite oils to use.
Although it is one of the more expensive oils, steam distilled from the leaves and flowers with a soft lemony aroma, it has great healing properties.
Carmelite water, distilled by the Carmelite monks since 1611 contained Melissa.
Primarily used to;
• Support a healthy immune system Place 1–2 drops under the tongue to boost immunity.
• Calm tension and nerves Diffuse at night or rub 2 drops in 1 /4 teaspoon carrier oil on forehead, shoulders, or chest to lessen stress
• Soothe stomach discomfort Add 1–2 drops to herbal tea to soothe indigestion or lessen nausea.
• Its anti-viral benefits Dab a small amount on breakouts or on the lips to soothe the area. I use it in my lip-balm and find that if you use it at the first “tingle” a fever-blister will not develop. Added to a cream it soothes shingles “rash”.
• Uplifting to the mind and energy The citrus like aroma lifts us out of those dark places and back into light and hope. Add a few drops to your diffuser or burner
Melissa essential oil blends well with Geranium, Lavender, and other Citrus oils.
Generally Regarded as Safe, it is advised not to use it for children under 6 years of age.
If pregnant or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician.
Always test essential oils for skin sensitivity prior to use.
Special Precautions; Over-use may overstimulate the kidneys.
Do not use in cases of kidney disease or other inflammatory conditions.
Until next time.
076 981 7458